Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pans Labyrinth Continuation........

Pans Labyrinth is an interesting movie....one reason is because the movie is in Spanish and though the movie could have been translated into English it was not. This forces the audience, if not a Spanish comprehending one, to actually pay attention to the details in the movie. Pans Labyrinth instantly connects to violence seeing as majority of the character all will endure some painful experiences. The movie raises the question of reality vs. imaginary. The main character Opheli is caught up in this imaginary world believing those events that happen, such as her meeting of the creatures for example the faun and the fairies which the class will be introduced to in the movie, as being character that influence her actions in reality. The creatures also show an impressive connection with another fairy tale called Alice in the Wonderland. As you watch the movie several things will take place that are similar to what Alice's challenges are in her story. These events which are similar to Alice, not only sparks anger in some of the other characters but gets her in a world of trouble. As the movie progresses to the end tragic events take place causing chaos in the movie. The movie ends leaving the audience with the ability to believe what is real and imagined. The ending question to think about when viewing the movie is: Is Opheli's journey worth the hardships endured throughout the movie.

4 comments:

  1. Has anyone seen Labyrinth?

    It's another great movie referencing Alice in Wonderland... plus it stars David Bowie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha yes I have seen that movie... I'm always thrown off when others know what it is, my grandma randomly made me watch it when I was 7, I'd probably appreciate it a bit more now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, rather, it stars David Bowie's crotch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really enjoyed this movie! It was my first time watching it and a few of my friends had told me the movie was 'creepy.' The music was a little bit eerie but I fell in love with the imaginary vs reality. I don't really think the obstacles Ofelia goes through should be considered hardships, if we're talking about the challenges. She chooses to partake of the challenges and even though she may have been slightly influenced, I think she enjoyed living in her imagination than her reality.

    ReplyDelete